Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
*** Chiefs 2018 Offseason Thread ***
(01-12-2018, 02:44 PM)NOLA Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 02:35 PM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 01:29 PM)NOLA Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 01:21 PM)asskickingboots Wrote: Alex Smith is going to the Pro Bowl after all. Maybe this slightly helps his trade value? Probably not, but it doesn't hurt.

Alex Smith is still a better starting quarterback than half the qb field left in the playoffs.

I agree with this.

But is he better than Pat Mahomes?

We only have a single pro game to tell, but the numbers from that game suggests...

... nope.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/1/3/...-buckle-up

Oh no, I want to move on to Mahomes FOR SURE.  I'm just saying that letting Smith go without getting every last bit out of the guy we traded two picks for would be a huge mistake.  He has much value on this market.  We're in the catbird seat here.  Use it.

Not gonna lie. I had to look up what the hell "catbird seat" meant, even though it's what I would have guessed through context. Is that some sort of Nawlins / Southern colloquialism?

Totally agree, though.
(01-12-2018, 03:16 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 01:21 PM)asskickingboots Wrote: Alex Smith is going to the Pro Bowl after all. Maybe this slightly helps his trade value? Probably not, but it doesn't hurt.

Alex Smith is still a better starting quarterback than half the qb field left in the playoffs.

I agree with this.

We only have a single pro game to tell, but the numbers from that game suggests...

... nope.

Oh no, I want to move on to Mahomes FOR SURE.  I'm just saying that letting Smith go without getting every last bit out of the guy we traded two picks for would be a huge mistake.  He has much value on this market.  We're in the catbird seat here.  Use it.

Not gonna lie. I had to look up what the hell "catbird seat" meant, even though it's what I would have guessed through context. Is that some sort of Nawlins / Southern colloquialism?

Totally agree, though.

My grandmother was both a really old woman from early 20th-century Arkansas, and had a Master's in literature and taught high school English. I learned a lot of colloquialisms from her and my grandfather (from early 20th-century southern Missouri; he and my grandmother lived outside of Atchison as adults), but I couldn't really tell you where they came from.  Phrases I learned in my youth, though, not since moving to New Orleans myself (in the long-ago late 1990s).

I agree with this.

... nope.

Better?  At this time yeah because of the experience factor and Alex knows his shit.  Now younger and stronger obviously its Mahomes.  Kinda like an older Joe Montana vs a Mid Career Brett Farve
[Image: HG.gif]

I agree with this.

... nope.

Totally agree, though.

Very common phrase in my part of mid missouri.
(01-12-2018, 07:19 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 01:29 PM)NOLA Wrote: Alex Smith is still a better starting quarterback than half the qb field left in the playoffs.

I agree with this.

... nope.

Totally agree, though.

Very common phrase in my part of mid missouri.

In northwest MO, I've never heard it. Strange how that works. Maybe I was just hanging out with the wrong (or right) people?
(01-08-2018, 01:01 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 10:03 PM)Coach Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 09:22 PM)The_Jonas Wrote: I agree mostly.  Since KC is unlikely to retain Revis and their CB position is a general disaster, that also needs to be a focus.  

That's all.  I added something, but I agree with everything else.

I think they will retain him.  It's a team option for 2018, and if exercised, he only makes $4 million because the other money is coming from the Jets.

Of course, if they decide to cut him, there is no cap charge at all.

I was not aware.  I thought Revis's contract would escalate to 10 million or something next season.  I saw that reported, but I checked and you are correct.  

I'd certainly keep him for that.

Okay from what I've seen about this he has a mil base salary and about a half mil per game bonus so about 9 mil in salary if he were to be kept. And the money he earned from the Jets is done so it would all be coming from us. In fact it would be coming from us anyway. The Jets just had to pay 350,000 less to revis this year because that's what we paid him, it lowered their number. 

He's not staying for that. He'll be cut. We could re sign him though. But I'd rather go younger.
(01-15-2018, 10:57 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 01:01 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 10:03 PM)Coach Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 09:22 PM)The_Jonas Wrote: I agree mostly.  Since KC is unlikely to retain Revis and their CB position is a general disaster, that also needs to be a focus.  

That's all.  I added something, but I agree with everything else.

I think they will retain him.  It's a team option for 2018, and if exercised, he only makes $4 million because the other money is coming from the Jets.

Of course, if they decide to cut him, there is no cap charge at all.

I was not aware.  I thought Revis's contract would escalate to 10 million or something next season.  I saw that reported, but I checked and you are correct.  

I'd certainly keep him for that.

Okay from what I've seen about this he has a mil base salary and about a half mil per game bonus so about 9 mil in salary if he were to be kept. And the money he earned from the Jets is done so it would all be coming from us. In fact it would be coming from us anyway. The Jets just had to pay 350,000 less to revis this year because that's what we paid him, it lowered their number. 

He's not staying for that. He'll be cut. We could re sign him though. But I'd rather go younger.

Yeah, I failed to notice the half a million per game part initially until someone brought it to my attention a few days ago.

That being said, I was wrong and I can see a situation where the Chiefs shouldn't hang on to him for $10 million.  However, the CB depth is not very good either, and the contract is just for one year.  Keep in mind that Revis only played for 6 games this year with no training camp and a off season due to his wrist injury, and I haven't seen anything that tells me that he sucked out loud.
I've been sick and offline for a couple of days and how does Bob Sutton still have a job at 1 Arrowhead Drive?
[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]
Well, for one, Andy has more power than the GM.  So, Andy isn't firing anyone he doesn't want to.
(01-19-2018, 12:07 PM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote: I've been sick and offline for a couple of days and how does Bob Sutton still have a job at 1 Arrowhead Drive?

I don't think Sutton did a good job, but I also don't think this defense is very good.  I think KC fans are a bit delusional about the talent level.

Quick.. name the top 3 players from last years defense.

1.  Justin Houston.  Great player, not what he used to be.  

2.  Marcus Peters - A great cover guy who doesn't tackle.

3.  Chris Jones - Who put up mediocre stats because he takes too many plays off, but is CAPABLE of being a force.  Most of the time though, you wonder where the hell he is..

The secondary is good with Berry.  Without Berry we were starting two guys who were mediocre back ups (Sorenson, and it's generous to call Mitchell 'mediocre') and our nickle CB (Gaines) was a liability so great it's hard to imagine a scrub off of the street not performing better.

LB corps was missing it's weakside pass rushers ALL SEASON.  No Hali.  No ford.  Frank Zombo was our weak side edge rusher.  Yikes.   That leaves Houston as the only legit pass rusher on the whole team.

DJ has no range anymore, no matter how well he knows how to do his job.  

The only guy who really emerged as a good player this season was Ragland, and he still has a way to go before he's a really good, let alone great, player.  

KC needs to seriously improve the talent level on the defense, and that's the fault of the personnel department and arguably the position coaches who are tasked with developing their individual skills.

I could understand firing or retaining him.  Changing coaches alone won't improve the defense nearly enough.