Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HEY HG (and other KC area folk)
As I think y'all know, we are moving back to the KC area come June or July.  My job search starts in January.

So I'm looking at neighborhoods and whatnot in the Northland to return TO.

While I would prefer, overall, to live in Platte County, I think we'lll end up settling in Clay Count due to our needs.  We want to downsize a bit, so a 2 bed 1 bath is fine as long as they have a basement that's usable. Budget is for a house under $100K if at all possible (fixer upper a bit is fine as along as the bones are good, i.e., no major problems with roof or foundation or wiring).

I'm tired of moving and I really want to settle for good.  Plant some dogwoods and hosta. Smile

I used to live in the Woodhill neighborhood, off Cheauteau Trafficway & 35, not terribly far from Penguin Park (and prior to that, I lived just south of Holiday Hills off North Brighton, and before that in Parkville).  HG, you live in the Gracemor-Randolph Corners neighborhood, right? What do you think of it?  Would you recommend someone move there?

Also looking at Excelsior Springs - lots of opportunity there - but I know diddly squat about it.  Never even went out there all the years I lived in KC, but I have a close friends in Kearney so that area is somewhat attractive (commutes aren't a big deal - KC *has* no commute compared to what I drive daily in Fort Worth).

I have Realtor.com searches running for Clay, Platte, Ray, Buchanan & Clinton Counties (not afraid of living further out if I find just the right thing, keeping an eye on places like Dearborn and Cameron and Plattburg).  But I want to know what it's like from people who are LIVING there now.

What do y'all think?

I did like living where I used to live.  Could easily live in the same neighborhood without thinking twice.  Very convenient, older houses, lots of variety, working class for the most part, which is how I like it.
[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]
I love where I am at.  Everywhere has some problems.  Im glad to say that Gracemor has been improving the last 5 couple years.  Less homes in disrepair and yards going out of control.  Proper taxes are reasonable.  I am 12 minutes from down down, 12minutes from the airport, and 12 minutes from the stadiums.  Liberty and clay county have grown and have anything I need.  Im very happy there.  Plate County Im really not thrilled with.  I know alot of people their and most say they love being in north of the river but wish they werent in Clay.  I dont know if its taxes or political.  

My opinion is that if you go clay county, KC North, Gladstone, Liberty, Pleasant Valley,  Everywhere is mostly developed.  So you know what the traffic is going to be.  Platte is growing and housing is increasing so as people move in, the traffic increases and rush hours get worse. over their.  Would be happy to have y'all as a neighbor .

So long as you leave yer sticks indoors
[Image: HG.gif]
(12-20-2017, 01:00 PM)HG Wrote: I love where I am at.  Everywhere has some problems.  Im glad to say that Gracemor has been improving the last 5 couple years.  Less homes in disrepair and yards going out of control.  Proper taxes are reasonable.  I am 12 minutes from down down, 12minutes from the airport, and 12 minutes from the stadiums.  Liberty and clay county have grown and have anything I need.  Im very happy there.  Plate County Im really not thrilled with.  I know alot of people their and most say they love being in north of the river but wish they werent in Clay.  I dont know if its taxes or political.  

My opinion is that if you go clay county, KC North, Gladstone, Liberty, Pleasant Valley,  Everywhere is mostly developed.  So you know what the traffic is going to be.  Platte is growing and housing is increasing so as people move in, the traffic increases and rush hours get worse. over their.  Would be happy to have y'all as a neighbor .

So long as you leave yer sticks indoors

My impression of all those places, driving through, was pretty good and generally what I'm looking for - older, established neighborhood, big trees, older houses with (usually) hard wood floors, okay sized lots that aren't too big and aren't too small. You're confirming my impressions.  We want to downsize a bit.   My perspective on a "long drive" and "traffic" have changed considerably since I moved there, so I'd even try for Platte City or even Smithville if I can find a place that meets my requirements.

There's actually a project house (as in "needs a lot of cosmetic repairs but on my list to consider") on N. Smalley that I've saved in my realtor.com to explore with my agent in a month or so, if it's still there.  Given we plan to move in June/July, there's plenty of time to make such a house livable if the price is right.

I loved living in Platte County when I did live there (as I love Parkville something fierce).  But I liked Clay County, too.   Hence those two counties are my "ground zero" searching places.

Heh, if I move in the neighborhood, back-yard stick lessons are going to commence nearly immediately.

Big Grin
I think the sized house you described and the pricing would be about right in my area.  I have one of the bigger lots and houses.  It could be just right.  Lots of trees.  And since my house was one of the first three built here.  I can say that their is indeed Hardwood floors under my carpet including the stairs, Bedrooms, everywhere but the basement and kitchen.    You could come over and watch Chiefs road games
[Image: HG.gif]
(12-20-2017, 03:51 PM)HG Wrote: I think the sized house you described and the pricing would be about right in my area.  I have one of the bigger lots and houses.  It could be just right.  Lots of trees.  And since my house was one of the first three built here.  I can say that their is indeed Hardwood floors under my carpet including the stairs, Bedrooms, everywhere but the basement and kitchen.    You could come over and watch Chiefs road games

I'm looking forward to knowing that I can watch every damn game without jumping through hoops, lemme tell ya.

Okay, your neighborhood is definitely on my list. Wink
Excelsior Springs is a great town with a neat little downtown.  I suggest you check it out.  It’s a big-small town with a short drive to KC.  Avoid Liberty, it’s just a mess until they can get some kind of sane traffic system figured out.  The new parkway south of town will help.  But I think you should check out Excelsior.
(12-20-2017, 10:56 PM)warthog Wrote: Excelsior Springs is a great town with a neat little downtown.  I suggest you check it out.  It’s a big-small town with a short drive to KC.  Avoid Liberty, it’s just a mess until they can get some kind of sane traffic system figured out.  The new parkway south of town will help.  But I think you should check out Excelsior.

I have been. Lots of stock of the housing I want at the prices I'm looking for.

I've heard rumors that there's a real drug problem in town, though. Any idea if that's true?
And Excelsior Springs has an Applebee's!!
My brother has an old house on s. Terrace in liberty that he really liked living in. He really liked liberty.
(12-21-2017, 09:39 AM)tyecopeland Wrote: My brother has an old house on s. Terrace in liberty that he really liked living in. He really liked liberty.

I like parts of Liberty, too.

If I had the money, though, I'd live on Main St. in Parkville, but I don't have that kind of dough.