Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Fantasy Football Advice Thread
Shit. Not only have I lost wentz and watson. Now I just lost zuerlein. 

Should I pick up Gould (going against jags) or forbath (vikings going against pack) or sam ficken (our preseason kicker who we didn't pick up to replace santos but is replacing zuerlein)?
Serious question for fantasy football people.  I've never played fantasy football.  Most folks here are old school, so you get that I'm a numbers/stats guy.  I'm no Taga (regarding stats or soliciting sex from underage girls) but I was wondering...  

How much money do you guys spend/make playing fantasy football?
(12-21-2017, 04:09 PM)The_Jonas Wrote: Serious question for fantasy football people.  I've never played fantasy football.  Most folks here are old school, so you get that I'm a numbers/stats guy.  I'm no Taga (regarding stats or soliciting sex from underage girls) but I was wondering...  

I won $300 in a league once a couple of years ago.  That was my best league.  I think I've also won a few hundred bucks total over the years for other wins and/or 2nd place finishes with a cash prize.  I was in two leagues this year, neither of which played for money, as my dynasty league was founded by a dude with a gambling problem, and the people I sit with at the Superdome did away with the cash buy-in.  I spent probably at least an hour and probably not more than two a week thinking about/working on my team and roster line-up.  I'm not proud of that, but I'm not really ashamed, either.  Most hobbies are stupid.  So is this one.
(12-21-2017, 04:09 PM)The_Jonas Wrote: Serious question for fantasy football people.  I've never played fantasy football.  Most folks here are old school, so you get that I'm a numbers/stats guy.  I'm no Taga (regarding stats or soliciting sex from underage girls) but I was wondering...  

I've never played for money, but that's changing next year. A buddy of mine is planning a league just for that reason.

Time investment can be pretty minimal, but it isn't nearly as much about skill as luck and paying attention.
I've spent a lot, but am definitely out ahead by a wide margin.  

Usually do a cash league at work with a $50 buy in that pays out the top three finishers.  I came in second and third the first two years and am back in the finals again this week.  Worst case I'll finish the three seasons up $200, but I could end up taking away $600 on $150 lay out if I win the championship.

I also do a large pick 'em pool that a friend at a cable sports network got me into.  $200/season, pick every game every week against the spread.  Top 3 in each week get paid out, and top 7 in the standings at end of year get a large prize.  Think I've done that one since 2011 so I guess I've put in $1,400 overall. First year in I got beginners luck, won a full week that paid me $375, and $800-something for a top 5 finish.  I've won second or first a couple of times in the seasons following which basically just covers me to enter again the next season hoping I'll finish well for the end of year prize ever again.

Won a couple of times at Super Bowl boxes too, but not sure if that counts.
(12-21-2017, 03:25 PM)tyecopeland Wrote: Shit. Not only have I lost wentz and watson. Now I just lost zuerlein. 

Should I pick up Gould (going against jags) or forbath (vikings going against pack) or sam ficken (our preseason kicker who we didn't pick up to replace santos but is replacing zuerlein)?

Not doing any research I'd go Forbath just because it's a better matchup for his offense than facing the Jags. I thought Ficken didn't look great in preseason, so I don't trust him.
I've got a 37.4 point lead in the championship with my QB (Big Ben) left vs. their TE (Ertz) and D/ST (Steelers). Pretty sure I've got this, but knowing me I'll sweat this out until everything goes final.
I've definitely got to sweat my game out although this is just semi finals. I have ertz left with just under a 75 point leaf but my opponent still has agholor, crabtree, bell, his kicker, and pits D. They are projected to score 70 points so I can't have a dud from ertz.
Looks like we gave you solid advice Brooklyn, and you chose right on the other part even I missed noticing it, though none of this made a huge difference. Curious if you made it.

Also, hope you made it, Tye. I know your scoring structure is different than mine, so it's kind of hard for me to tell, especially since I don't know who their kicker was.

I won my league. I actually had the top score in each of the 3 playoff weeks, so there's no real question about my legitimacy. I thought about posting a lengthy post about being the greatest team ever in the history of fantasy football as a joke on our league's frontpage, but no one ever reads it and if they did I'm pretty sure they'd miss it being a joke.

Guess I'll just have to brag to each friend in person. Better that I get to see their reactions anyway. It'll probably piss them off more if I'm nonchalant about it.
(12-26-2017, 09:49 AM)asskickingboots Wrote: Looks like we gave you solid advice Brooklyn, and you chose right on the other part even I missed noticing it, though none of this made a huge difference. Curious if you made it.

Also, hope you made it, Tye. I know your scoring structure is different than mine, so it's kind of hard for me to tell, especially since I don't know who their kicker was.

I won my league. I actually had the top score in each of the 3 playoff weeks, so there's no real question about my legitimacy. I thought about posting a lengthy post about being the greatest team ever in the history of fantasy football as a joke on our league's frontpage, but no one ever reads it and if they did I'm pretty sure they'd miss it being a joke.

Guess I'll just have to brag to each friend in person. Better that I get to see their reactions anyway. It'll probably piss them off more if I'm nonchalant about it.

I won my Superdome league two or three years ago and legitimately forgot about before the start of the next season, which was the first time I'd seen any of those people since the win.  They brought it up and I was like, "oh yeah, who won our league anyway?"  They were furious.  Moreso when they realized I was genuinely that useless, and not just trolling them.  Would not trade that reaction for anything... you can't fake that kind of indifference.