Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Dog Died Yesterday
(01-05-2017, 11:44 AM)NOLA Wrote:
(01-05-2017, 09:26 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote: Thanks.  There was so much more I could have said about her.

Like how she followed me from room to room, always within two feet of me most of the time.

How she did not like the cat(s), mainly out of jealousy for the attention they got.

How she absolutely dominated a Rottweiler/Lab mix dog friends of ours had, to the point that she got to eat out of HIS food bowl first.

How her first reaction to getting groomed or a bath was to run out in the yard and get dirty again.  She hated being "clean".

She sounds like an AWESOME dog.  I'm so sorry for your loss--losing a dog is awful--but I'm glad you have so many happy memories.  As time goes on you won't lose those at all.

I do.

But I'm also heartbroken I'm going to go home today and she won't be there to greet me, get pets, and watch me make dinner like she did every night.
[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]
(01-05-2017, 12:11 PM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:
(01-05-2017, 09:26 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote: Thanks.  There was so much more I could have said about her.

Like how she followed me from room to room, always within two feet of me most of the time.

How she did not like the cat(s), mainly out of jealousy for the attention they got.

How she absolutely dominated a Rottweiler/Lab mix dog friends of ours had, to the point that she got to eat out of HIS food bowl first.

How her first reaction to getting groomed or a bath was to run out in the yard and get dirty again.  She hated being "clean".

She sounds like an AWESOME dog.  I'm so sorry for your loss--losing a dog is awful--but I'm glad you have so many happy memories.  As time goes on you won't lose those at all.

I do.

But I'm also heartbroken I'm going to go home today and she won't be there to greet me, get pets, and watch me make dinner like she did every night.

It can be very quiet, yeah.  I'm sorry.
[Image: nolasig.gif]
Homer: [reading] "Project Arcturus couldn't have succeeded without you. This will get you a little closer to that dream of yours. It's not the Dallas Cowboys, but it's a start. Drop me a line if you're on the East Coast, Hank Scorpio." Aw, the Denver Broncos!
Marge: I think owning the Denver Broncos is pretty good.
Homer: Yeah, yeah.
Marge: Well, explain to me why it isn't.
Homer: [sighs] You just don't understand football, Marge.
(01-05-2017, 12:33 PM)NOLA Wrote:
(01-05-2017, 12:11 PM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:

I do.

It can be very quiet, yeah.  I'm sorry.

No pitter-patter of dog feet on the carpet last night and this morning has me freaked out.  On the one hand all I want to do is crawl into bed.  On the other hand, I don't want to be in my house any more.
When we lost ours the thing I think I really missed most that just drove me nuts, was that light weight of pressure on the bed at night.  Plus one morning I was having breakfast on the porch and without thinking grabbed a sausage and reached under the table.  Wife said Looking to share?  Last straw had a puppy in a week.
[Image: HG.gif]
(01-06-2017, 06:42 AM)HG Wrote: When we lost ours the thing I think I really missed most that just drove me nuts, was that light weight of pressure on the bed at night.  Plus one morning I was having breakfast on the porch and without thinking grabbed a sausage and reached under the table.  Wife said Looking to share?  Last straw had a puppy in a week.

It's the sound of her footsteps - or lack of it - driving me nuts.

I don't know that I'll ever be able to have another dog.  I just don't think I can do this again.

We have a cat, but honestly, it's older daughter's, and I expect, once she moves out, the cat will move with her.

But I might feel differently eventually.

All I know is I want my dog back.
Wife said we would never own another dog.  That was two pouches ago.  Ya give it time and when you are ready.  It happens
[Image: HG.gif]
I wouldn't blame you for taking your time. I've never deliberately sought to replace any animal we lost.

What usually seems to happen is an animal falls into our lap, such as one of my sisters couldn't take her cat to her new apartment (basically my cat now), or before that when one of my sisters claimed the cat she picked up off the street was a "science experiment" for school and would only be there for a couple weeks. Three weeks later it was too late to even think about taking it away. The newest dog we have is just because someone we knew couldn't take care of it anymore.

It'll probably take me years to get a new cat after my cat dies, but it's something I'm already dreading. Paws iis going on 15 years old (Maine Coon cats live typically 12-15 years) and is starting to have trouble getting on counters or chairs. I refuse to throw away the worst chair in the whole house because he can get on it easily still.
(01-06-2017, 08:45 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:
(01-06-2017, 06:42 AM)HG Wrote: When we lost ours the thing I think I really missed most that just drove me nuts, was that light weight of pressure on the bed at night.  Plus one morning I was having breakfast on the porch and without thinking grabbed a sausage and reached under the table.  Wife said Looking to share?  Last straw had a puppy in a week.

It's the sound of her footsteps - or lack of it - driving me nuts.

I don't know that I'll ever be able to have another dog.  I just don't think I can do this again.

We have a cat, but honestly, it's older daughter's, and I expect, once she moves out, the cat will move with her.

But I might feel differently eventually.

All I know is I want my dog back.

Heartbreak is always like that, but I'd say this...

The hurt of losing a pet for me has never outweighed the joy of having a companion.   It's kind of a silent agreement.  "I will out live and mourne this dog".  There's not many relationships, human or otherwise, where that dynamic is clear from the outset.  

I have two dogs (4 and 2 yrs old) and they're still spry and playful.  

Take your time, and you'll want to love one again.  Do you know how I know that's true?  Because you loved this dog, and that doesn't go away.  You'll want to do it again.  

Then you'll have a new dog with a different personality.  It's own quirks.  It's own way of being affectionate.  It's own way of frustrating you.  You'll somehow find a way to love them just as much.

Because dogs are awesome.
Thanks for the support and kind words, guys.

Things are slowly getting a little better.  Not unrelentingly depressing any more.

Just moments.  Which is good.