Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STARWARS - SPOILER THREAD
(01-13-2018, 12:10 PM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote: Am I the only that just doesn't care about the solo movie? And I'm one that loved the last jedi. I think I'm about to hit the saturation level with star wars. It's not a franchise that we need a movie every year I feel.

Nah, I think a Han Solo prequel is a terrible idea.  

Given the issues it's had in production, it's hard to imagine it won't suck... but Rogue one had a load of problems and a lot of people liked it.  

China dropped The Last Jedi, claiming the film 'insulted the intelligence of the audience'.  Gonna need some aloe for that burn.

It's crazy that a movie can earn 1.25 billion dollars and be considered a financial disappointment, but they expected to clear 2 billion.  Given how quickly it hit 800 million, that's tanking pretty hard.
(01-13-2018, 12:10 PM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote: Am I the only that just doesn't care about the solo movie? And I'm one that loved the last jedi. I think I'm about to hit the saturation level with star wars. It's not a franchise that we need a movie every year I feel.

I agree with that.

And again, I don't think Han Solo is an interesting character in the first place; he's not going to get more interesting by explaining he how became a middle-aged failure day drinking in a shitty bar.  I'm pretty sure I know that origin story.
(01-13-2018, 12:19 PM)The_Jonas Wrote: It's crazy that a movie can earn 1.25 billion dollars and be considered a financial disappointment, but they expected to clear 2 billion.  Given how quickly it hit 800 million, that's tanking pretty hard.

Its because while people jumped at the chance to see it with all the build up.  They are not going back to see it again.  Even Fanboys.  See it once then done.
[Image: HG.gif]
(01-13-2018, 03:18 PM)HG Wrote:
(01-13-2018, 12:19 PM)The_Jonas Wrote: It's crazy that a movie can earn 1.25 billion dollars and be considered a financial disappointment, but they expected to clear 2 billion.  Given how quickly it hit 800 million, that's tanking pretty hard.

Its because while people jumped at the chance to see it with all the build up.  They are not going back to see it again.  Even Fanboys.  See it once then done.

Somehow I doubt the movie would hit 1.25 billion with people just watching it once. 

I don't get why people are saying this is a financial dissapointment. It is on pace to be the 5th highest grossing movie ever. I didn't ever think it was going to surpass the force awakens because that was the first SW movie in a decade. This is the 3rd in 3 years.
[Image: chitown4.gif]
Check out my new fan page for daily updates
https://www.facebook.com/nathan.ryan.pierson
(01-13-2018, 03:49 PM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote:

Somehow I doubt the movie would hit 1.25 billion with people just watching it once. 

I don't get why people are saying this is a financial dissapointment. It is on pace to be the 5th highest grossing movie ever. I didn't ever think it was going to surpass the force awakens because that was the first SW movie in a decade. This is the 3rd in 3 years.

That's what I'm saying.  It's odd, but Batman V superman was viewed the same way and it made almost 900 million dollars.  

Also, it's not even CLOSE to surpassing TFA.  You have to think the studio expected it to gross closer to TFA, especially given TFA is the only movie that out-grossed it opening weekend in the states, and instead it's just barely surpassing Rogue one.  The Studio absolutely is viewing that as something of a financial disappointment.  Not a failure mind you.  Let's be clear.  The movie is an overall success for sure, but considering what an overachiever Rogue one was they had to be anticipating more..

With it being yanked from 92% of chinese theaters playing it so quickly, that's gotta be pretty disappointing too given what a huge market China is and how much films like this rely on that audience.
(01-13-2018, 11:42 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:

That's what I'm saying.  It's odd, but Batman V superman was viewed the same way and it made almost 900 million dollars.  

Also, it's not even CLOSE to surpassing TFA.  You have to think the studio expected it to gross closer to TFA, especially given TFA is the only movie that out-grossed it opening weekend in the states, and instead it's just barely surpassing Rogue one.  The Studio absolutely is viewing that as something of a financial disappointment.  Not a failure mind you.  Let's be clear.  The movie is an overall success for sure, but considering what an overachiever Rogue one was they had to be anticipating more..

With it being yanked from 92% of chinese theaters playing it so quickly, that's gotta be pretty disappointing too given what a huge market China is and how much films like this rely on that audience.

I'm not sure I understand the criticism that it was insulting the intelligence of the audience in China.  I mean, it's a movie about magic monks with laser swords and shit... at the very least, I don't find it nearly as insulting as that second prequel movie.  Does anyone have any idea what specific plot points led to China pulling it?  Because I imagine it's much more about some politics that I won't claim to be well-informed enough to understand.
(01-14-2018, 11:56 AM)NOLA Wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the criticism that it was insulting the intelligence of the audience in China.  I mean, it's a movie about magic monks with laser swords and shit... at the very least, I don't find it nearly as insulting as that second prequel movie.  Does anyone have any idea what specific plot points led to China pulling it?  Because I imagine it's much more about some politics that I won't claim to be well-informed enough to understand.

I don't know that it was a specific plot point. My understanding is that star wars was never big in china. Apparently it was first introduced in the 90s and never took off. People were turned off by seeing it because they knew it was the 8th movie in the franchise (9 including rogue one) so they didn't see any point in watching it since they didn't see the ones before.
[Image: chitown4.gif]
Check out my new fan page for daily updates
https://www.facebook.com/nathan.ryan.pierson
(01-14-2018, 12:25 PM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote:
(01-13-2018, 03:18 PM)HG Wrote: Its because while people jumped at the chance to see it with all the build up.  They are not going back to see it again.  Even Fanboys.  See it once then done.

I don't know that it was a specific plot point. My understanding is that star wars was never big in china. Apparently it was first introduced in the 90s and never took off. People were turned off by seeing it because they knew it was the 8th movie in the franchise (9 including rogue one) so they didn't see any point in watching it since they didn't see the ones before.

Okay, that makes sense.  I mean... they're ridiculous movies built on a ridiculous premise.  They resonate here for sure, but I can believe that lose something in cultural translation.

I dunno.  Maybe it has to do with the multiple times the movie ignores the well known fact that space is a vacuum.  There's at least 3 times.  

I found that mildly insulting.  Otherwise I'm not sure.
(01-14-2018, 12:25 PM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote:
(01-13-2018, 03:18 PM)HG Wrote: Its because while people jumped at the chance to see it with all the build up.  They are not going back to see it again.  Even Fanboys.  See it once then done.

All true.  The theaters likely just pulled it because it wasn't making enough money.  

China wasn't a huge boost to TFA anyway.