Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
THE X-FILES REBORN (formerly NOLA! NOOOOLLAAAA!)
Re-watched it. Enjoyed it more on the second round as I could pay more attention to the details of things.

Glen Morgan *nailed* the M&S relationship better than it's been in years.  It really is the heart of the show, and he knows it.

Nobody cares about aliens or conspiracies.  Those things exist to bring M&S together on the screen.
[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]
Being honest, wife and I tried to binge the x files starting with season 1 a few years ago and while our shitty Internet connection definitely hurt the experience we couldn't get into it enough to finish season 1. I want to . . . get back into it, I enjoyed watching a random episode every now and then and the movies so do you have any suggestions or just start it back up again where we were.
(01-15-2018, 10:31 PM)tyecopeland Wrote: Being honest, wife and I tried to binge the x files starting with season 1 a few years ago and while our shitty Internet connection definitely hurt the experience we couldn't get into it enough to finish season 1. I want to . . . get back into it, I enjoyed watching a random episode every now and then and the movies so do you have any suggestions or just start it back up again where we were.

Oh man, you have no idea what you've just done.  I'm sure that CC will throw a lot of ideas at you, but let me ask you this: did you and the wife enjoy the episodes with the ongoing story about aliens and the government conspiracies surrounding aliens, or the episodes that were just about crazy monsters and other shit happening in self-contained episodes?  That influences a lot of what I would recommend, but I would say you can probably skip most of Season 1, and large parts of Season 2 and be in pretty good shape.  I'll put together a recommended episode list based on your response.
(01-16-2018, 08:56 AM)NOLA Wrote:
(01-15-2018, 10:31 PM)tyecopeland Wrote: Being honest, wife and I tried to binge the x files starting with season 1 a few years ago and while our shitty Internet connection definitely hurt the experience we couldn't get into it enough to finish season 1. I want to . . . get back into it, I enjoyed watching a random episode every now and then and the movies so do you have any suggestions or just start it back up again where we were.

Oh man, you have no idea what you've just done.  I'm sure that CC will throw a lot of ideas at you, but let me ask you this: did you and the wife enjoy the episodes with the ongoing story about aliens and the government conspiracies surrounding aliens, or the episodes that were just about crazy monsters and other shit happening in self-contained episodes?  That influences a lot of what I would recommend, but I would say you can probably skip most of Season 1, and large parts of Season 2 and be in pretty good shape.  I'll put together a recommended episode list based on your response.

Season 1 was rough. It gets a lot better in Season 2, and downright awesome in Season 3.

Be patient, it pays off, big-time.

Well you were wrong about cc. Just one idea, keep watching, lol. 

Umm it's been awhile but I don't really remember much over arching plot. I do remember several, what I believe, were monster of the week episodes. Like the one where the guy can fit through really small ducts (and I think makes a paper nest home?) and then another about some disease thing with scientists in the artic or some shit and then I remember something about an Amish guy.

So considering I don't really remember a plot or much about aliens I'd say it's safe to say they weren't our favorites.
(01-16-2018, 08:35 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:

Well you were wrong about cc. Just one idea, keep watching, lol. 

Umm it's been awhile but I don't really remember much over arching plot. I do remember several, what I believe, were monster of the week episodes. Like the one where the guy can fit through really small ducts (and I think makes a paper nest home?) and then another about some disease thing with scientists in the artic or some shit and then I remember something about an Amish guy.

So considering I don't really remember a plot or much about aliens I'd say it's safe to say they weren't our favorites.

"Squeeze" (it has a sequel, "Tooms", later in the season, by the way).

Season 1 has some strong eps - "Squeeze" (ep. 3) , "Tooms" (ep 21), "Eve" (ep 11), "Beyond the Sea" (ep 13) and "Darkness Falls" (ep 20) are the ones that stand out to me that are non-mythology.

You gotta remember that the mytharc is a minor part of the show, overall, and I think there *are* some really good mytharc episodes as well, but it isn't necessary to follow the mytharc to get max enjoyment of the show. 

There's so many good episodes in front of you.  In season 2 I think the mytharc eps were actually fine, but you have "The Host" (ep 2 - not great in itself but *gross* so it's fun), "Irresistable" (ep 13), "Die Hand Die Verletzt" (ep 14), "Død Kalm" (ep 19),  and "Humbug" (ep 20 and widely considered one of the classics).

And then it gets better.
I'm trying to think of just one episode to have Tye and his wife watch because, honestly, if they're not that into it, they're probably only going to give it one more chance, right?  I think "Bad Blood" is the answer, isn't it?  That's what I keep wanting to recommend.  Is there a better choice?

Or just watch the first X-Files movie.  That's the shortcut to get into the X-Files and the pinnacle of the late-90s zeitgeist and cool that they represented.  It's also how I got into the show fully (it explains a lot of shit very quickly that was not obvious just watching the occasional episode).
Also, CC--you see this week's episode yet?
(01-19-2018, 02:00 PM)NOLA Wrote: Also, CC--you see this week's episode yet?

Just did last night. I was sick and then with Mr. Chick out of town, wanted to wait until he returned.

I'll be watching it again today for more details but AW HELL YEAH.  Another strong episode for Season 11.  Two decent ones in a row.

Oh my god, Karin Konoval KICKED ASS.  That was up there as a guest star appearance on the same level as other guest star bad guys Brad Dourif, Robert Wisden, Doug Hutchinson... and hell, herself in "Home" (can't count her being in "Clyde Bruckman" in this case because she wasn't a bad guy there).  I really, really enjoyed her performance. So well done.

The X-File was again well rooted in the old school of the series.  It "felt" right, and was an episode that reminded me of eps like 2x04 "Sleepless", or 4x16 "Unrequited", or even 7x12 "X-Cops".  I thought, again, like "This", there were some plot holes you can drive a truck through but that's always been the case in the show, so why would that change now?  Mulder's always made weird leaps on logic based on nothing more than his gut and this was the same case here when he honed in on Judy.  I do think that the fight between Judy and Chuck over which letters comes after "U" and "L" in the Hangman puzzle they were doing (and the fact that BOTH of them have this weird power) was fun.

Getting them back together clearly and explicitly - where it was sorta hinted at in "This" but not really clear - was the right call (and honestly they never should have broken them up WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING, CARTER?!?!).  The contrived set-up to get them in the same hotel room struck me as very fan-ficcy.  I mean, in old hotels, many rooms have adjoining doors kinda like this "suite" of theirs, so it could have just been that. Struck me as unnecessary.

The bit where Mulder kept looming over Scully in her room was a bit OOC for him (Mulder is not afraid to yell, "Scully! Wake up! We got us a self-decapitation!" from the other room). 

I laughed out loud when Mulder said, "I’ll always be around, Scully, offering bulletproof theories of genius that you fail to assail with your inadequate rationality."  And of course, "Put a dimmer on that afterglow, Scully."

So, long story short - I thought this was a very familiar episode.  I think "This" was better overall, but this one was good and proper too.  I give it a B, where I thought "This" was a B+.

Ooo, isn't Darin Morgan's episode next?