Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Comic Book TV Shows and Movies - All The Things!
(04-26-2017, 02:10 PM)NOLA Wrote:
(04-26-2017, 12:57 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:
(04-26-2017, 07:03 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:
(04-25-2017, 12:49 PM)NOLA Wrote:
(04-17-2017, 01:56 PM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote: Basically...?

They're employees in the security products division in a branch office of Wayne Enterprises.

The boss is Alan Tudyk, playing a cousin of Bruce Wayne's, Van Wayne.  He's the main comic relief and he's great (but he usually is).  It takes a couple of episodes to find their legs, but I think if they go in a more "Better Off Ted" direction for the superhero set, it'd be a really great show.  It's not there yet, but the scaffolding of something good is there, and it has enough moments to keep me watching.

I'm amused.  I don't have many 1/2 hour shows that I can watch while I'm scarfing food before martial arts class (other than re-runs of shows I already know and like).  Nice to have this in the rotation along with "The Last Man on Earth" which has been pretty good this season, IMO, and "Brooklyn Nine-Nine".

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/powerles...202395022/

Sorry, CC23.  It sucks to lose a show you're into.

I'm not surprised.  It would have done better on cable or Netflix.

The worst part isn't just that you lose it.

There's like 2 episodes left and they pulled them.

Dick move.

I have to imagine those will end up online sooner or later.  They're already in the can.

My thought also.

Ah well, too bad.  It was a good idea.
[Image: CC23sig3copy.gif]
"Into the Badlands" is SOOOOOOO much better than "Iron Fist".
(Yesterday, 09:30 PM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote: "Into the Badlands" is SOOOOOOO much better than "Iron Fist".

Dude, tell me what's wrong with the fight scenes in Iron Fist.  I know they're bad, but I don't have the vocabulary or insight to explain why.  I really want to know.
[Image: nolasig.gif]
Homer: [reading] "Project Arcturus couldn't have succeeded without you. This will get you a little closer to that dream of yours. It's not the Dallas Cowboys, but it's a start. Drop me a line if you're on the East Coast, Hank Scorpio." Aw, the Denver Broncos!
Marge: I think owning the Denver Broncos is pretty good.
Homer: Yeah, yeah.
Marge: Well, explain to me why it isn't.
Homer: [sighs] You just don't understand football, Marge.
(Yesterday, 10:56 PM)NOLA Wrote:
(Yesterday, 09:30 PM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote: "Into the Badlands" is SOOOOOOO much better than "Iron Fist".

Dude, tell me what's wrong with the fight scenes in Iron Fist.  I know they're bad, but I don't have the vocabulary or insight to explain why.  I really want to know.

The way they are presented, they are obviously hiding the fact that Finn Jones can't fight his way out of a paper bag.  It looks like what people look like when they are *practicing demos*, not fights.  Given that he's supposed to be using a Chinese style, I would have expected more classic "wire-fu" choreography (much like we actually GET in "Badlands" - some of it is ridiculous but it sure looks pretty).

The bad guys fall down too quickly, the "disabling" shots to them wouldn't actually disable them at all, and the bad guys miss too easily to cover the fact that Finn Jones is good at posing and maybe trying to imitate what people doing Tai Chi do (not actually doing what tai chi people do, but imitating it, like he's copying a video off YouTube).

It's hard to explain. He just doesn't *move* like a martial artist would, especially not someone in the Chinese martial arts tradition.  I train with people who do - and I'm strongly considering picking it up as my next martial arts style to complement my Arnis, plus, I wanna learn the Chinese weapons.  That will have to wait until I move again - which may be within a year and a half or so - but still, I'm spending a lot of time watching the real deal and training with them and it's just... no.  Hell no.

It was a mistake not to get this guy really train in one of the kung fu lineages (even wing chun would have made sense - and that's the style that Downey uses in "Sherlock Holmes" - and it's believable because HE TRAINS IN IT) intensively for, say, three months. Believe me, it would have made a HUGE difference, even in all those shots of him doing pseudo-tai-chi solo.

I mean, look at literally the first fight scene in Ep 1 of "Badlands" and see how it's done, and done well, in the Chinese style.  It was crazy and over the top and exactly what Iron Fist should have been.

Let me put it this way - the way Iron Fist is presented in that show, me - a short, dumpy middle-aged woman who's only trained for 9 years relatively part-time - I'd cut in several vital places relatively quickly.  And I am a nobody and a nuttin', not the chosen one who trained prime years in a disguised Shaolin temple. Wink