Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Matt Cassel Experience
(01-04-2018, 10:12 AM)The_Jonas Wrote:
(01-03-2018, 05:34 PM)NOLA Wrote:
(01-03-2018, 05:30 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:
(01-03-2018, 05:19 PM)NOLA Wrote:
(01-03-2018, 04:39 PM)The_Jonas Wrote: I feel about as bad for him as you would for Aaron Brooks.

Oh, I've made my peace with Aaron Brooks.  I was happy for him when he got inducted into the Saints HOF.

Also, I don't really see much comparison between Cassel and Brooks.  My frustration with Brooks was always that he was so physically gifted (moreso than his cousin, Michael Vick, in my opinion), but he gave so few fucks that he was functionally useless unless you needed a fantasy QB in a later round.  He was Jay Cutler before Cutler, only with a smile and a shrug instead of a cigarette and a sneer.  Cassel was pretty mediocre, but I think he played hard.  I don't recall him ever quitting on the team.  He was just fucking terrible.

Eh, my problem with Cassel (aside from sucking) was that he had no accountability.  You would always watch him shift blame in press conferences.  After a 4 INT debacle against the Bills, I remember him saying "I graded myself out perfectly."  Did you Matt?  Was everyone else the problem?  That's when you know a guy can't be a starting QB.  

I did enjoy the Cutler/Brooks comparison.  That's deadly accurate. Nothing like Matt Cassel.

That's an interesting point.  I have a much less clear read on the personalities of some the Chiefs because I don't see the local press the way I do down here.  The only one I ever get a read on is Kelce, and man I wish he'd stop daring me to facepalm.

Hey, Kelce has been a good boy lately.  Big Grin

You know what my biggest problem with Kelce is?  He makes me laugh when he does his stupid shit.  When he threw his towel at the ref to protest a bad call?  Awfully stupid thing to do, but it was hilarious.  

Then he punches a guy in the nuts with the football earlier this season.

I know these things are dumb and hurt the team, but I laugh my ass off when he does them.  It reminds me of the Ozzie Newsome story.  He had Kelce in for an interview during the pre-draft run-up.  He shows about half a dozen plays where Kelce goes full Kelce after a play.  He turns the TV off, looks at Kelce silently for a while and asks:

"Son, are you an asshole?"

Ha! That's an awesome story.

I like some antics.  Chad Ochocinco always made me laugh.  And sometimes Kelce does, but the interviews (like personality profiles) I've seen with Kelce?  I dunno, man... maybe I'm just old, but he seems like a particularly douchey brand of lame.
I heard Kelce talk about getting drafted, getting a call from Reid before hand where Reid asked in a stern tone "Are you gonna fuck this up? You better not fuck this up". Reid then talked to Jason who assured his former coach Travis would not fuck iit up.

Also, Travis was worried when he saw the caller ID say Missouri until he realized it was the Chiefs and not the Rams.
(01-04-2018, 10:17 AM)NOLA Wrote:
(01-04-2018, 10:12 AM)The_Jonas Wrote:
(01-03-2018, 05:34 PM)NOLA Wrote:
(01-03-2018, 05:30 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:
(01-03-2018, 05:19 PM)NOLA Wrote: Oh, I've made my peace with Aaron Brooks.  I was happy for him when he got inducted into the Saints HOF.

Also, I don't really see much comparison between Cassel and Brooks.  My frustration with Brooks was always that he was so physically gifted (moreso than his cousin, Michael Vick, in my opinion), but he gave so few fucks that he was functionally useless unless you needed a fantasy QB in a later round.  He was Jay Cutler before Cutler, only with a smile and a shrug instead of a cigarette and a sneer.  Cassel was pretty mediocre, but I think he played hard.  I don't recall him ever quitting on the team.  He was just fucking terrible.

Eh, my problem with Cassel (aside from sucking) was that he had no accountability.  You would always watch him shift blame in press conferences.  After a 4 INT debacle against the Bills, I remember him saying "I graded myself out perfectly."  Did you Matt?  Was everyone else the problem?  That's when you know a guy can't be a starting QB.  

I did enjoy the Cutler/Brooks comparison.  That's deadly accurate. Nothing like Matt Cassel.

That's an interesting point.  I have a much less clear read on the personalities of some the Chiefs because I don't see the local press the way I do down here.  The only one I ever get a read on is Kelce, and man I wish he'd stop daring me to facepalm.

Hey, Kelce has been a good boy lately.  Big Grin

You know what my biggest problem with Kelce is?  He makes me laugh when he does his stupid shit.  When he threw his towel at the ref to protest a bad call?  Awfully stupid thing to do, but it was hilarious.  

Then he punches a guy in the nuts with the football earlier this season.

I know these things are dumb and hurt the team, but I laugh my ass off when he does them.  It reminds me of the Ozzie Newsome story.  He had Kelce in for an interview during the pre-draft run-up.  He shows about half a dozen plays where Kelce goes full Kelce after a play.  He turns the TV off, looks at Kelce silently for a while and asks:

"Son, are you an asshole?"

Ha! That's an awesome story.

I like some antics.  Chad Ochocinco always made me laugh.  And sometimes Kelce does, but the interviews (like personality profiles) I've seen with Kelce?  I dunno, man... maybe I'm just old, but he seems like a particularly douchey brand of lame.

Antics are fun.  I love that the NFL relaxed on the celebrations.  I think it's funny that we now have team celebrations, and everyone knows I've been calling to bring those back since they were banned, but Tony's dunk celebration is a penalty.  

Yeah, we can't have guys nut punching people with the football.  I find it funny because I'm a dick, not because there's anything okay with it.  

I get it though.  We all went to high school with someone like Kelce, and we all hated him.  Including his friends.
I'm sure if I knew Kelce personally he would annoy me but I'm with Jonas. He does crack me up. Until one of his antics cost us a game. 

Plus. I can't watch this gif without cracking up. 

[Image: tenor.gif]
[Image: chitown4.gif]
Check out my new fan page for daily updates